This year, TaxSlayer has emerged as a strong contender in the DIY tax preparation arena. In fact, he lists it as one of the best tax software programs for small businesses. That’s because we offer all forms for one price.
However, they may not be the best tax software option for you.In that case, you may be looking for a TaxSlayer alternative.
We break down our picks and choices for the best TaxSlayer alternatives you can use to prepare for taxes this year.
What is Tax Slayer?
A recent review of TaxSlayer outlined the many benefits of using it for tax filing software, such as free filing if you’re claiming student interest as a deduction. Below is a quick review of TaxSlayer’s highlights am.
- Price: $0 (including state), $19.95, $39.95, and $49.95 (state available for $39.95 for these three options)
- Web-based (no download required)
- Tax Investigations, Live Tax Expert Assistance, Self Employed Options
- with electronic file
- Easy to use
Alternatives to TaxSlayer
Most people will find TaxSlayer to meet their needs. Those with more complex tax filings may find they need more options than what TaxSlayer offers. In such cases, specialized tax software that can address the unique needs of those filers is probably the best option.
TurboTax offers a wide variety of options, but is expensive compared to other tax filing software. As with most tax filing software, there are four plans that increase in price as your tax needs grow and become more complex. Except for the free version, there is an additional charge for state submissions. You don’t have to pay for any plan until you apply.
- Free version: Perfect for quick personal tax returns.
- Deluxe: $39 is great if you have mortgage interest, donations, student loans, and 1099-MISC income. State filings are an additional $39.
- Premier: Great for those with a variety of investment incomes, including $69, stocks, cryptocurrencies, and rental properties. State filings are an additional $69.
- self employed: $89. Perfect for freelancers and self-employed people, including small businesses. After filing, you will have access to a tax estimate for the full year. State filings are an additional $89.
You also have the option to add Live CPA Help to each plan for a fee. Pricing per plan is $0 (limited time), $89, $139, and $169. TurboTax is web-based, but can also be purchased as a CD or download.
Start TurboTax here>>
TaxAct handles filing for everyone, from individuals to businesses to those who want to maximize their deductions. We offer 4 plans. Each high cost plan includes everything in the low cost plan.
- free: For individual federal returns. The state costs him $39.95 even with the free tier. No phone support.
- Deluxe: At $24.95, it’s perfect for homeowners and those with certain types of deductions, such as itemized deductions. It’s also great if you have child and dependent care, mortgage interest, property taxes, student loan interest, health savings accounts (HSA), or adoption credit. Includes tax expert phone support. The state filing fee is $59.
- Premier: Great for $34.95, Investments, Rental Property, Schedule K-1 Income, Investment Income and Expenses, Rental Property Income, and Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts. The state filing fee is $89.
- self employed: $64.95, Deductible Maximizer™, Year-Round Tax Resource. Perfect for freelancers, businesses and farmers. Find business deductions and calculate depreciation. State filing costs $119, more than the other he two non-free plans.
Considering state pricing on top of high federal pricing, it’s hard to justify TaxAct over TaxSlayer.
Get started with TaxAct here>>
H&R Block also offers four plans in line with the current theme, and the personal plan is free. There is a paid online assist option that allows you to speak with a live tax expert, a registered agent, or his CPA. H&R Block’s software has a nice looking interface, is easy to use and is completely web based.
The free plan includes one state filing. Paid plan state filings can be purchased for $37 each.
- free: $0 includes state submissions. Technical support is available via chat.
- Deluxe: $35, homeowners and those with donations and HSA. Includes DeductionPro® to optimize donations. Technical support is available via chat or phone. A state tax of $37 will be added.
- premium: $55 for freelancers, contractors, and investors (including rental properties). Perform cost-based calculations. A state tax of $37 will be added.
- self employed: $85 for self-employed and small businesses. Import tax information for Uber drivers. Includes the ability to add headquarters depreciation and vehicle costs. A state tax of $37 will be added.
TaxSlayer has much better pricing than H&R Block Online, but H&R Block has some of the strongest assistance options of any tax software option. If you need tax help, it’s easy to find online assistance, phone support, and our office network.
Start H&R Block here >>
Free Tax USA
FreeTaxUSA is a popular alternative because it offers a simple flat fee for their software. And compared to TaxSlayer, it’s almost as easy to use.
- free: $0 federal and $14.99 state
- Deluxe: $7.99 and $14.99 state (including audit support)
With these low prices and full access to all tax forms at the lowest level, FreeTaxUSA even gives TaxSlayer Classic its run of money. For users, FreeTaxUSA is an attractive option.
Start FreeTaxUSA here >>
cash app tax
Cash App Taxes is a popular alternative to TaxSlayer. That’s because it’s the only tax software option that offers truly free federal and state tax returns.
However, Cash App Taxes has some drawbacks. For example, multiple state taxes are not allowed and foreign-earned income is not supported. There may be other tax situations it does not support as well.
As a result, TaxSlayer remains a competitive option. However, if you have a simple tax return (such as W2 or 1099 for interest), Cash App Taxes is a good choice.
Get started with Cash App Taxes here >>
If your filing needs are simple (Form W-2 only, no investment required), any of the free options above will work just fine. If you are a small business owner or a freelancer, TaxAct and H&R Block have comparable options with great feature sets.
However, FreeTaxUSA and Cash App Taxes are probably the most compelling options for simple tax returns.
Check out our guide to the best tax software and our guide to free tax software options.